Why Play Therapy?
Play Therapy is a powerful tool for addressing cognitive, behavioral, and emotional challenges. LifeWorks has licensed Play Therapists that use play therapeutically to help clients better process their experiences and develop more effective strategies for managing their worlds.
Call us at 515-255-8399 or use the contact form located on each Provider’s profile page to get started today.
“Play Therapy is based upon the fact that play is the child's natural medium of self expression…It is an opportunity which is given to the child to 'play out' his feelings and problems just as in certain types of adult therapy an individual 'talks out' his difficulties.” -Virginia Axline
How can play therapy help my child?
Play therapy helps children:
- Become more responsible for behaviors and develop more successful strategies.
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems.
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others.
- Learn to experience and express emotion.
- Cultivate empathy and respect for thoughts and feelings of others.
- Learn new social skills and relational skills with family.
- Develop self-efficacy and thus a better assuredness about their abilities.
How does play therapy work? Children are usually referred to play therapy to solve problems and deal with issues that are troubling the child. Often, children have used up their own problem solving tools and express themselves in negative ways, such as acting out at home, with friends, or at school. LifeWorks has trained mental health professionals that use play therapy to help children cope with difficult emotions and find solutions for their problems. By using a play therapy setting, children find healthier solutions and learn new ways of coping with their issues.
LifeWorks is awesome! They have helped my family so much. We love coming here!
For additional information and frequently asked questions about Play Therapy, click here to visit the Association for Play Therapy website or click here for the Association for Play Therapy Parents Corner.